Pages

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Classroom management tips

Looking for some new ideas for classroom management?  Is your school trying to be more positive in your approach to rules and discipline?  Here are some resources:

1.  I've been reading the Smart Classroom Management blog and I think it's got some great advice, and would be a great resource to give to your beginning teachers or even student teachers.

Just to give you an idea, the last few posts have been:
How to Be A Better, Happier Teacher By Slowing Down
How To Stop Repeating Yourself And Start Speaking With Power
How To Inspire Classroom Management Excellence

2.  I also really like Love and Logic and have been in a few schools where all the teachers are trained in this style.  I just did a training with some of the staff at my current school and found the Love and Logic website has some handouts for teachers here: Free Resources for Teachers

3. A good book is Lost at School (the same author who wrote The Explosive Child).  I really appreciated the idea that when students can't learn math we teach them, or when they can't read we teach them; we can do the same with behavior.  After I read The Explosive Child I gave it to a teacher friend who worked in our intervention room and though skeptical, she loved it.  I then gave it to my principal who also found it inspiring.

4.  I recently read Discipline with Dignity and found it has some good content.  A quick read and some good reminders about how our approach to discipline can either influence kids to want to behave or scare them into not getting caught.  

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails